21 Crazy Myths from Zimbabwe
The reason for most of these myths was to teach and warn against certain practices which may have been detrimental especially to children or were just bad manners. Unfortunately they became engrained in the minds and created superstitions which still hold some captive to this day.
(1) If you bite your button while a biker was speeding down the road he will fall off his bike.
(2) If you see an Albino you must bite your button else you will have Albino children.
(3) Do not whistle at night while indoors else you will (a) call witches into the home (b) you will call a lion.
Ukaridza muridzo manheru unodaidza shumba, kana varoyi
(4) When you sweep your home at night you must not take out the rubbish else they will be collected by witches
Ukatsvaira madekwana haufaniri kuhorera marara acho nokuti anozo torwa nevaroyi
(5) You must not collect rubbish using your hands else you will have bad luck
Marara haa dyorerwi nemaoko nokuti unozoita munyama
(6) If your tooth falls out you can only throw it over your head onto the roof else it will not grow again.
Zino hari raswe pese pese rino fanira kukandwa pamusoro peimba
(7) If you sit on the road you will get boils
Ukagara muroad unoita mota
(8) Children cannot eat egg yolk else they will get the heebie-jeebies
Wana vadiki havadyi yoke yezai nokuti vanozoita buka
(9) You cannot pass salt directly at the dinner table else you will become enemies, you have to place it on the table and the next person picks it up.
Munyu haitambidzanwi munozo vengena
(10) If you jump over a person they will not grow tall so if you jump over someone you have to "re jump them" else they will not grow tall
(11) If you stand next to where elderly people are sitting you will finish their blood
Uka mira pane vakuru vakagara unovapedzera ropa
(12) Peeping toms will get big pimples on their eyelids and everyone will know what they have been up to
Mukomana akadongorera vasikana anoita shohwera
(13) You cannot point at a grave with your index finger else it will stay like that
Makuva haanongedzwi nechigunwe chinozo ramba chakadaro, saka
(14) Do not carry seasoning when you are going to hunt else you will not catch anything
Hauendi nemunyu kuno vhima nokuti hapana chamunobata
(15) Avoid eating okra when you are going to hunt else the animals will slip away
Hamufaniri kudya derere kana muchienda kuno vhima nokuti mhuka dzino tsvedza
(16) You cannot eat your totem or else you teeth will fall out
Mutupo haudyiwi mazino anozoora
(17) Don't call peoples names at night or else they will be called by witches and led away
Haudevedzi zita remunhu manheru anozodevedzwa nevaroyi akaenda
(18) A child who cries at night will have her voice taken by witches
Mwana haachemi usiku anotorerwa izwi nevaroyi
(19) Do not jest around when in a forest else you will be lost and wont be able to find your way out.
Musango hamutaurwi zvakashata nokuti unozo dzungaira musango imomo
(20) If you eat before washing your face in the morning you will get mumps
Ukadya usina kugeza kumeso unoita mahumunya
(21) Hyenas, cats, owls are all animals used by witches